3 ounces penne (or fusilli or shell pasta)
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 small onion or fat shallot , thinly sliced (about 1/4 cup)
1 clove garlic , peeled and thinly sliced
2 large, ripe plum tomatoes (about 7 ounces), cut into rough chunks
1 Tbsp. white wine
2 1/2 to 3 ounces canned tuna in olive oil
10 Italian or Greek black olives , pitted and quartered
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Bring a large pot of water with 1/2 tablespoon salt to a boil. Drop in pasta; stir it around.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-low heat; sauté onion or shallot 3 to 4 minutes, until limp.
- Add garlic and tomatoes and sauté for another minute.
- Splash in wine and cook down, about 4 minutes.
- Break up tuna, dropping chunky flakes into the pan.
- Stir in olives.
- Add at least 1/4 cup pasta water to the sauce.
- When pasta is al dente (taste to be sure), use a big strainer-like spoon to transfer it to the pan. Stir to combine, and cook for a minute.
- Add salt to taste if needed and more pasta water if sauce is too dry.
- Spoon pasta with sauce into a bowl, and scatter parsley on top.